Rep. Sherrod Brown: Tell the Boy Scouts -- everyone should be allowed to participate, regardless of sexual orientation. Sign the open letter today


It was around forty years ago that I became an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America, the third of three in my family (my two older brothers are Eagle Scouts, too). One of my heroes, John Glenn, spoke at my Eagle dinner. It was a proud day for me.

I would like to continue to be proud. But right now, the BSA has a standing policy that excludes openly gay Scouts and Scout leaders from participating.

Just last week, the Boy Scouts of America announced that they plan on changing the rule to allow gay Scouts, but not gay leaders. The board of BSA is set to vote on the plan sometime in May.

It’s a step -- but it’s not far enough. I'm joining forces with two other Eagle Scouts, Senator Jeff Merkley of Oregon and Zach Wahls, founder of Scouts for Equality, to call for change. We're sending an open letter to the Boy Scouts of America. Would you sign it?

Tell the Boy Scouts -- everyone should be allowed to participate, regardless of sexual orientation. Sign the open letter today.
Scouting isn't just about badges and mottos. It's about teaching young people leadership and integrity. And it's time the organization took those values to heart. 

Excluding openly gay participants doesn't only hurt those excluded. It hurts Scouts with openly gay parents, and it teaches our youth that discrimination is acceptable.

It's outrageous that in 2013, a group like the BSA could still embrace discrimination. We've ended Don't Ask, Don't Tell in the military. The Girl Scouts have shown real inclusive leadership. It's time for the Boy Scouts to do the same.

Join Senator Merkley, Zach, and me. Sign our open letter urging the Boy Scouts of America to stop discriminating.

The Boy Scouts is an American institution. And I hope that future generations of Scouts and their families, regardless of their sexual orientation, will have the opportunities that I had growing up as a Boy Scout.

Yours in Scouting,



Sherrod

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Your Comments