Some In The Media Got Last Nights Forum Right

New York Magazine’s Jonathan Chait described the forum as the “scariest thing” he’s seen during the whole campaign“I had not taken seriously the possibility that Trump could win the presidency until I saw Lauer host … Lauer’s performance was not merely a failure, it was horrifying and shocking. The shock, for me, was the realization that most Americans inhabit a very different news environment than professional journalists. I not only consume a lot of news, since it’s my job, I also tend to focus on elite print news sources. Most voters, and all the more so undecided voters, subsist on a news diet supplied by the likes of Matt Lauer. And the reality transmitted to them from Lauer matches the reality of the polls, which is a world in which Clinton and Trump are equivalently flawed.”
Slate’s Fred Kaplan called the whole thing "a waste of time": "What an ill-focused forum, a senseless not-quite-debate, another wasted hour in an election season that’s been more wasteful and dispiriting than anyone could have imagined possible, until it gets more dispiriting still.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Your Comments