|Signaling President Barack Obama's commitment to the LGBT community and as a precursor to what the community can expect in the future, Democratic National Committee Chair Gov. Tim Kaine tonight released his nominations for key DNC positions and committees which delivered historic LGBT numbers and diversity.|
Responding to the DNC's LGBT Caucus priority for the appointment of the first transgender Democrat to the national body, Gov. Kaine delivered in the appointment of Babs Casbar Siperstein, a nationally-known advocate for transgender rights and education. Her appointment was only one of six LGBT at-large nominees made in his 75 total appointments. Kaine doubles the number of LGBT individuals ever appointed through this process and brings the overall LGBT representation on the DNC to near parity to the estimated LGBT Democratic vote loyalty. Kaine further delivered on historic diversity with his remaining five representatives--who come from the labor, elected official, Hispanic, Asian, and African American communities. They are Hon. Evan Low of California, Hon. Lupe Valdez of Dallas, Texas, Earl Fowlkes of the District of Columbia, Terry Bean of Oregon and Randi Weingarten of New York.
In addition, Kaine appointed Maryland DNC Member and State Delegate Heather Mizeur as one of his 10 Executive Committee appointments. She will join DNC Treasurer Andy Tobias, ASDC Chair and DNC Vice Chair Raymond Buckley and myself on the 45-member DNC Executive Committee.
Kaine continued making history in his Standing Committee appointments by doubling LGBT representation on the four bodies--Rules & Bylaws, Credentials, Resolutions, and Budget & Finance.
One sad note was that Garry Shay of California, a key leader in the 2007 enactment of the LGBT Inclusion Program provisions in the DNC party affairs process was not reappointed to the Rules and Bylaws Committee. However, the LGBT community will see three new LGBT representatives on this important and powerful committee--an increase of one. I personally want to thank Shay for his leadership and tenacity on behalf of the LGBT community!!
President Obama told LGBT representatives at the White House in June to judge him by what he delivers, and I can hardly wait to see the great public policy victories the LGBT community will see from this administration. While impatient, I know President Obama will deliver the "Change We Can Believe In" for the LGBT community.
Rick Stafford, Chair
DNC LGBT Americans Caucus
DNC Member, Minnesota
- 10 Quotes From Founding Fathers On Separation Of Church And State
- TOP 20 RIGHT WING PROPAGANDAIST
- The Purpose Of FOX News
- What The GOP Doesn't Know About The Constitution
- 8 reasons why Ronald Reagan was the worst president of our lifetime
- Our Liberal Founding Fathers
- The Bible and Homosexuality
- 13 Thing The Bible Forbids that you all do
- 20 Vile Quotes Against Women By Religious Leaders From St. Augustine to Pat Robertson
- Park Avenue: Money, Power & The American Dream
- 15 Websites Saving the Environment by Changing the Food System
- What Does the New Testament Say about Homosexuality?
- How The Right Wing Took Over America's Media
- 35 Founding Father Quotes Conservative Christians Will Hate
- Here's 15 things everyone would know if there really were a "liberal media"
- America's Most Hated Family
- List of Companies Supporting Right-Wing and Tea Party Causes
- State Democratic Parties
- What did the founders really think about corporati...
- Neo-Con Project For The New American Century
- 5 Reasons America Is Not—And Has Never Been—A Christian Nation
- How Reagan Destroyed America
- What America’s founding father really thought about religion
- How NeoCons Got Us into War
- Jesus On S-E-X
- Greatest American Liberals In History
- Lies Fundamentalist Christians Teach Their Childre...
- Jesus Versus Republicans: On S-E-X
- Religion & Homosexuality