Inspired by First Lady Michelle Obama

I was recently in the ballroom of the Signature Grand in Davie and I was surrounded by people who were just as excited as I was to see the special guest for the evening; First Lady Michelle Obama.  The feeling in the room was like that of a family reunion. It was warm and welcoming and proved that people from all across the state were indeed excited about re-electing President Obama in 2012.

Listening to the First Lady made it evident that Mrs. Obama shares my concerns.  Though Mrs. Obama may be very knowledgeable about the complex issues that her husband tackles every day, when she spoke she didn’t just bring up the President’s many accomplishments.  She addressed what those accomplishments mean to Florida families and to every individual in that room. 

Mrs. Obama knows that this next election won’t just decide our economic and foreign policies.  As she put it so well, it will determine who we are as a nation and the future of younger generations. 

She asked the question that we should ask ourselves each day:  Will we honor that fundamental American belief that I am my brother’s keeper, I am my sister’s keeper and if one of us is hurting, then we’re all hurting?

I volunteer with the campaign’s team here in Broward because I know what this election means to my family and my community.  I know that I want someone at the White House who walks into the Oval Office every morning and asks themselves, what do these issues mean to this country?  How do the actions we take exemplify who we are as a nation?

The First Lady’s visit meant a great deal to me and the others in the room that night.  It was much more than a chance to get a picture or two of Mrs. Obama.  It was an opportunity to stand together and look towards the fight we face to do what is right for this country and future generations.
 -- Kathy Blanton of Southwest Ranches, Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Your Comments